DIFFERENT CAN BE GOOD
But only if you stick to it long enough to find that good side.
When I went to High School, I found my different, no that's not true... different found me. I spent the entire first year of school trying to learn a new culture and a new way of life.
My very first Geography lesson remains unforgettable to this day. See my siblings and cousins had warned me that Geography wasn't the GHC I was used to, it was a lot more complex and technical, so I was somewhat prepared, or at least I thought. But I wasn't prepared enough for what happened. The Geography teacher entered class and asked us to name a few "Fishers" that we knew of. "What sort of subject is this that we had to know "Fishermen" by name???" Is what went through my mind. This tiny detail, my siblings left out. So much for preparation. It was until she mentioned examples;valleys, mountains, hills & plains that I realized she actually meant "FEATURES".
In that one moment, everything in my head stopped working. No one in class was confused, no one seemed lost, no one was laughing. EXCEPT ME.
Then it hit me, I was in a different place and in this part of the world, this is the norm. It is acceptable to speak like this.
I had never up until this point, heard anyone talk like this before, at least not intentionally. Where I was brought up(And it's not my fault, I was brought up in the leafy suburbs of Landless, and yes I hear the paradox in that statement) people spoke fluently and if they didn't it was standard practice to laugh at them for the next 5 minutes.
So I spent the rest of the year trying to understand this new language that I would be hearing for the next 3 years. Still laughing along the way, because it got funnier, and I didn't want to abandon my culture, of course. And at the end of 4 years, this very different, strange if you may, environment gave me character, it gave me some of the best friends that I know of today and provided me, with a solid foundation to be the great small person that I am today.
Only thing though, I was young and with no exit strategy;so I had no choice but to hang in there long enough. So I got the good.
You on the other hand, are a lot older and spoilt for choice when it comes to exits, so chances are, you are not going to hang in there long enough to see the good in different.
That experience revealed how inaccurate my wiring was, that people don't need to speak in a certain way to deliver.
So have you been sticking to something because it's the only way you know and for no other reason? Have you been rejecting things or other people's opinions because of your inaccurate wiring? Have you gotten to a point where you no longer listen when it comes to a particular subject matter, because you're used to your way of doing things?
Here are some other inaccurate wirings that I've heard, and until you do something other than what you've always known, to challenge that, they'll always remain correct according to you, and ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING IS THE KEY THING HERE.
"That it's not lady-like to play" "If you're thin you're fit" "You have to go to the gym to get a good workout" "Healthy food is expensive" "If you only have 1 or 2 hours a week to workout you shouldn't start a workout routine" "Working out is only for fat loss" "You have to get fit to start working out" (I don't even know what that means).
If any of the above is something you've once said or believed, your challenge this week is to do something that's totally different to that belief, stick to it and let me know your outcome.
DO SOMETHING.
If you've never experienced an outdoor workout for whatever reason that's been holding you back, Find us, Deliberate Fitness at the YMCA State Hse Road, Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays 5.25-6.30pm5.25-6.30pm.


No comments:
Post a Comment