APPLES TO APPLES
No I'm not about to talk about the fruits. Apples to Apples is a board game that has recently found it's way as one of my favorite board games ever.
No I'm not about to talk about the fruits. Apples to Apples is a board game that has recently found it's way as one of my favorite board games ever.
Let me explain how it's played. It has 2 different card decks; Red and Green hence it's name, and is played by 4 or more participants. Each player is dealt with 5 Red cards, each card with different extremely random words e.g. Computers, Oxygen, Indiana Jones etc. Among the players a judge is chosen, who is then handed 1 Green card. The green card has different adjectives, one on each card e.g Sensitive, Worthless, Caring etc.
The aim of the game is once the judge has read out the adjective on the Green card and it's synonyms, the rest of the players have to pick one Red card out of their 5 cards and try and convince the judge why that name relates closest to the aforementioned adjective.
I absolutely love this game because it keeps you on your toes, you have no idea what to expect. It provides room for creativity and most importantly allows for self expression as you try to convince the judge why your answer is best described by the adjective.
These are some of the most hilarious answers my friends and I have ever come up with. The adjective(Green Card word) was 'Sensitive'. Now, when your Red Cards are Indiana Jones, Sea-Fish, Republicans, Oxygen & Recycling you have to get creative. My friend racked her brain and decided that Oxygen will be the best card to represent Sensitivity. This was her explanation "A lack of Oxygen can be a very Sensitive situation". Which is actually true if you think about it. Hit Reply if you think you can do better.
I on the other hand, had the following Red Cards: Oyster, Dieting, Sushi, Engineering and Boss. The Green Word to match was Funny/Hilarious. As intelligent as I am I decided Dieting was the funniest of my words, and I went ahead to explain that "I'm on a See-Food Diet, where I see food and eat it. Or a balanced diet is my focus (And especially on a holiday like today) which means I have a plate of food on each hand, hence the balance." Funny stuff right? Well the judge didn't think I was funny at all.
The originality, creativity and authenticity of this game makes it so interesting. One single word can mean as many different things, to different people as possible. Conforming in Apples & Apples is a foreign term. It's fun, makes you think and gives you a different point of view as you listen to the other participants' answers.
Well, this right here is the reason Deliberate Fitness trains outside. Outdoor Fitness is our authenticity. We are more creative, work and serve you best while in this environment. We are more expressive and create real relationships here (Over the years I've found that results are really hard to achieve if a relationship is not established). We are in our element, and the results have no choice but to follow. At Deliberate Fitness we celebrate individualism in a group.
This game makes you look at the usual things unusually. You have to think of how Dieting, Boss, Engineering, Oyster and Sushi can be funny. And if you allow yourself to think hard enough, you're bound to come up with something. The environment pushes you to that extreme.
Take a moment and think about your training. Do you hit the gym like a routine just to say I go to the gym every Monday, Wednesday & Friday? Are you in the moment during that aerobics, zumba & spin class or do you just go through the motions for 60 or so minutes? Does your workout allow for self expression or do you just do it, because your trainer said so, or because it worked for your friend/relative? Is it an environment that pushes you, reveals the best and most creative you?
I dare you to try and explain how Oxygen can be sensitive or how dieting can be funny.
I dare you to workout at night, workout outside or wherever and whatever time you feel like you're in the zone.
I dare you to express yourself and do the sort of workout only you enjoy, even if it doesn't make sense to the rest of us.
I dare you to be creative and find ways to still workout whenever you can't access the gym.
I dare you to be different and authentic.
I dare you to express your true feelings and come up with the real reasons as to why you workout.
Because Only when you do all the above, will you enjoy the process and the journey(Be it weight loss, weight gain or just keeping fit). Only then, will you love and appreciate yourself, and workout from a place of love and appreciation. And only then will you be patient enough to work and wait for the results because the results don't define who you are, they just make you better.
Enjoy the holiday today and play a board game if you can.
And if you want to confirm how authentic we are, how creative we can get or how we look like when we are in our element? Be our guest, find us at the YMCA State House Rd. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 5.25-6.30pm 5.25-6.30pm.
Cheers!




No comments:
Post a Comment