Wednesday, 8 July 2015

NETWORKING AND WEIGHT LOSS


No, neither leads to the other, although networking in heels could help burn some calories... These 2 words are in my opinion often not used very correctly, and for some{not so strange} reason, when one is misused I immediately connect it to the other. Have you been to an event where whenever it's announced.. "I shall give 10 minutes for 'Networking' people walk around with the aim of dishing out & receiving the most business cards??? Well, I have. Have you ever been invited somewhere and when you ask the purpose of the event, you're told it's for 'Networking'?
Networking{No quotes, this time} is an effort to connect with others. A connection that will eventually lead to a relationship, that will be action and execution oriented, when the need arises.
By that definition, connecting & executing require a DELIBERATE EFFORT. Correct me if I'm wrong but very little effort;Deliberate or not, is required to exchange business cards or post a picture on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram with a celebrated person like Nduta Maina, with the caption "Networking Tings"(It was actually painful to write that).

When it comes to "Weight Loss" we tend to  think of the excess fats as business cards stored somewhere that when you feel like using some, you'll just open your business card holder and make a few calls. And since we met at a 'Networking' event in 2005 I'll come running to your aid 10 years later. Your fat cells are not just inert “storage tanks” for excess fuel. They are actually endocrine glands which send and receive signals from the rest of the body. You could say that your fat cells “talk to your body” and your body “talks to your fat cells.” This communication, consistent communication, DELIBERATE communication is the key and it occurs through a hormone and receptor system. For body fat loss to occur, you must first get the fat cells (adipocytes) to release the fat into the bloodstream. THEN, the free fatty acids must be delivered to the working muscles where they are burned for energy. For fat to be released, the hormone adrenaline (epinephrine) must be secreted and send a signal to your fat cells. Your fat cells receive this hormonal signal via adrenaline receptors called adrenoreceptors. (I'll talk about the Alpha & Beta adrenoreceptors in another article). This communication between the hormone, fat cells, blood stream and WORKING muscles is a process. It's a give and take relationship where involved parties put in their effort & play their roles. {This is also why I don't believe hot water with lemon causes fat loss, because I'm yet to understand how the two communicate the above process}.

So actual real work, complete with sending information & getting feedback has to happen for you to use the excess fats & for you to establish a connection(A Network).
 

Put simply without the proper Deliberate communication to stimulate fat cells to release the free fatty acids, no diet or hours of 'workout'(just going through the motions) will help with fat loss. Again it doesn't matter how many networking events you attend or how many business card holders you've filled, if you're not willing to establish & nurture a connection, those business cards(and selfies with the who's who) will not help you. Both fitness & networks work best, when you build them before you need them. They should be preventive rather than treatment, and that's why I take offense everytime someone asks me when they see me working out - "What fat I'm trying to lose" ?? I'm building a network and enjoying the process{An ever onward Almost}. 

Your Challenge this week is to really connect with someone on a personal level. Get to know them before taking that selfie or handing them your business card. And if you're skinny, find the rest of us Skinny folks building our workout networks every Monday, Wednesday & Friday 5.30-6.30pm at the YMCA State House Rd. The aim is not to look fit, the aim is to BE FIT.
Cheers!

Deliberate Fitness Enjoying a Networking & Bonding Session

No comments:

Post a Comment